If you wish you had had braces as a child or have noticed more recent tooth movement, then Invisalign is a wonderful option that we can offer to create a straight and harmonious smile. It allows your teeth to straighten while wearing a clear and virtually invisible aligner. The course of treatment can be shorter than conventional braces and much more comfortable to wear.
Invisalign uses a series of clear removable aligners to straighten your teeth without metal wires or brackets
The aligners are made through a combination of our Dentist’s expertise and 3-D computer imaging technology. Each set of aligners are worn for 2 weeks and removed only when eating, drinking, brushing or flossing.
As you replace each aligner with the next in the series, your teeth will move – little by little, week by week – until they have straightened to the final position our dentists have prescribed.
The total treatment time averages 9 – 15 months and the average number of aligners worn during treatment is between 18 and 30, but both will vary from case to case.
What are the benefits of Invisalign treatment?
- Invisalign aligners offer an aesthetic alternative to conventional braces.
- Aligners are nearly invisible so many people won’t realize you are in treatment.
- Tooth movement can be visualized through the Movement Movies.
- Aligners allow for normal brushing and flossing tasks that are generally impaired by conventional braces.
- Aligners do not have the metal wires or brackets associated with conventional braces.
- The wearing of aligners may improve oral hygiene habits during treatment.
What is the procedure involved in getting Invisalign?
You will undergo a routine orthodontic pre-treatment examination including x-rays and photographs. Our dentist will take impressions of your teeth and send them along with any other information to the invisalign labratory. Their experienced team will follow our dentist’s prescription to create a software model of your prescribed treatment.
The total number of aligners will vary depending on the complexity of your dentist’s prescription. The aligners will be individually numbered and will be dispensed by our dentists with specific instructions for use.
Unless otherwise instructed by our dentist, you should wear your aligners for approximately 22 hours per day, removing them only to brush, eat and floss.
Some patients may require bonded aesthetic attachments and/or elastics on their teeth during treatment to facilitate specific dental movements.
Patients may also require additional refinement after the initial series of aligners.
How long with my teeth stay straightened after Invisalign treatment?
On completion of the course of Invislign treatment it is important we retain the results. This is done initially by wearing passive retainers for 22 hours and then gradually moving onto night time wear only.
There are two types of night-time retention:
- Removable retainers (similar to the Invisalign aligners).
- Permanent retention in the form of a thin metal wire bonded to the backs of the front teeth.